Lend me your ears
There is mass confusion on what the difference is between a web DESIGNER and what a web DEVELOPER is. Then you start mixing in the words UI developer and designer and it gets even more messed up.
I could get into the whole Design Unicorn discussion again, but you can read/research that for yourself
I’ve met UI designers who never touch code, and only work in wire framing tools like AXURE and make some good coin.
A web DEVELOPER does the back end design, which can be all sorts of languages….ASP, JSP, .NET. Coldfusion, Java, databases, mySql
While web designer and web developer should both have a macro understanding what the other does, these are really two different skillets.
Though looking through the want ads you will find a whole lot of Robin Thicke Blurred Lines going on.
- Excellent written and verbal client communication skills
- Professional web/interactive design expertise
- HTML and CSS
- Experience creating UI & IA documentation (wireframes, sitemaps, etc.)
- Proficiency in Photoshop & Illustrator
- Active proponent of web standards, usability & accessibility
- Emphasis on clean, usable & sophisticated layouts
- Meticulous eye for detail & style
- PHP, ASP.NET, or other server-side and database programming languages
- iPhone, Android, and mobile web design and development
- Knowledge of web content management systems (Drupal, WordPress)
- You don’t use Dreamweaver
- Flash design / ActionScript knowledge
The likelihood this company will actually find someone who knows all of this stuff is pretty much close to none.